September 17, 2011

Lincrusta?

I'm thinking about using Lincrusta in the guest bathroom. The name conjures some kind of soap scum remover or industrial cleaner, but really it's an embossed wall covering made from linseed oil and wood flour invented in the late 19th century. It looks more or less like carved plasterwork, and we have some (or something Lincrusta-esque) in the downstairs hallway that I really like.


I think it could be a really fun variation on the more traditional beadboard wainscoting, but I can only find a couple of examples of textured wallcoverings in the bathroom (found here and here). 


Either I'm ahead of the curve on this one, everyone else thinks it's terribly ugly, or it's a lot more difficult to install than I'm imagining. In truth, we'd probably be using Anaglypta (a molded vinyl paper) rather than true Lincrusta because of cost, but either should hold up fine under the heat and humidity of the bathroom.

I've found a few modern styles of Anaglypta that I really like, all of which are made by Brewster.



Should we go for something a little different, or just stick with the traditional beadboard?

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog. I am loving it. And the design of the page itself and all its elements. Just gorgeous.

    In our house it seems like there's always so much towel or other fabric lint that it floating about in the humid air. We wipe down our walls easily enough, but the edge of the floor board and the creases of its profile are such great challenges for me, that Lincrusta would give me pause.

    ReplyDelete