October 16, 2011

Tackling the Entryway

Now that the front door is looking better, I thought it was about time to tackle the front entryway. I started working on it last year, but the bedroom and bathroom projects took over my life. I had gotten as far as stripping the wallpaper, but that just revealed big cracks and lumpy half-plastered holes in the walls that have been welcoming our guests ever since! The trim was (once again) painted brown. Yuck. Sadly, I don't have a great photo of the space from before, but you can get an idea from this.


Notice the blue and maroon striped wallpaper above the closet doors? That's what I was dealing with. Perhaps this photo of the hallway with the same wallpaper/color scheme does it better justice?


*Shudder* (For anyone who's concerned, this is what the hallway looks like now.)


Anyway, back to the front entryway. Here's where I was on Saturday morning.


I started on the trim with a coat of primer, followed by caulking gaps and puttying nail holes - I work in that order because the primer makes it a lot easier to see where the problem spots are. It took three coats of paint on the trim and two coats on the textured wallpaper, but here's where I am as of Sunday night.


Ahh! So much brighter, and becoming much more welcoming. Next weekend, on to the inner front door, the coat closet, and patching wall cracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment